Saturday, April 21, 2007

Lessons from Moses

Deuteronomy 34
The Death of Moses
1 Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the LORD showed him the whole land—from Gilead to Dan, 2 all of Naphtali, the territory of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the western sea, [a] 3 the Negev and the whole region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar. 4 Then the LORD said to him, "This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, 'I will give it to your descendants.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it."

5 And Moses the servant of the LORD died there in Moab, as the LORD had said. 6 He buried him [b] in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. 8 The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.
9 Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit [c] of wisdom because Moses had laid his hands on him. So the Israelites listened to him and did what the LORD had commanded Moses.

10 Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face, 11 who did all those miraculous signs and wonders the LORD sent him to do in Egypt—to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land. 12 For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.


Reflection of Bee:

The story of Moses was the story that brought awe into my young life when I was attending the Sunday School then. Each Sunday I learned something new about the God of Moses. By the time the story ended, I told my Sunday School Teacher that I wanted the God of Moses to be mine too. Many years later when I watched the movie on the life of Moses, "The Prince of Egypt", awe still held my life. Yes, what a mighty God I have!

Who was this Moses that God could use so mightily and was able to talk to God face to face (v12)?

He was a man whom God raised from being a servant's son to someone of high position (as the prince of Egypt), to learn all about leadership, and then to humble him again in order to use him to lead the Israelites out of bondage. Moses made many mistakes but his heart was genuine towards God. Some of those mistakes may have consequences at the end of the day, such as Moses not being able to enter the promised land. Yet Moses was one of the great man of faith commended in Hebrews 11:23-29.

As I once again reflect on the life of Moses I could see something similar God had been doing in my life from my childhood days. He had been moulding my life, teaching me, exposing me to leadership roles and humbling me to prepare me for some special works He wants me to do in the near future. I could feel it coming but I need to obey. Like Moses, I may tend to give excuse and say like what he did in Exodus 4:10,
"O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

Dear Lord,
Thinking about Moses brings back many memories of how I came to know You. His life is also an encouragement for me to know that all I have gone through in my life have their special purposes. You have a special calling for my life which I need to obey. Give me strength and courage to accept what You have prepared for me to do. Let me not give excuses but to fully rely on You and not on my own abilities. May Your peace reigns in my heart tonight. Speak to me during the Sunday Worship tomorrow.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home