Thursday, April 05, 2007

Fickle Followers

Matthew 27:15-23
15Now it was the governor's custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. 16At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas. 17So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?" 18For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him.

19While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

20But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

21"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor.
"Barabbas," they answered.

22"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked.
They all answered, "Crucify him!"

23"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate.
But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"


Reflection of Bee:

What did Jesus do wrong?

To the crowd, there is no need to give a reason for crucifying Jesus (v23). To them, the right things that Jesus did were deemed 'wrong'. That means He had been crucified as an innocent man.

"What crime" have I committed?

That's the same question I asked myself when my once upon 'best friend' became so cold towards me and treated me as if I am in non-existence. I became 'just friend' or 'just acquaintance' suddenly. It's very hurting to be suddenly treated that way without a reason. What did I do wrong to deserve such treatment? I don't know. Self-doubts, self-condemnation, self-anger set in.... and I felt 'crucified'.... :(

The same fickle followers of Christ then, were no different from the fickle minded ones today. They choose to believe what they want to believe in their own fancies and benefits. However, in yesterday's devotion Joy of True Friendship and Love we learned what it meant to be true followers of Christ, to be true friends, to love and to experience Christ's joy.

Tonight's devotion reminded me that if Christ was treated that way (crucified) by the people who claimed to be His follower earlier, it shouldn't be a surprise to me when I am treated similarly by people whom I trusted and thought close to me. I can only pray that God will show them what it means to be true disciples of Christ.


Dear Lord,
Your servant (me) will never be greater than the Master(You). Let me take heart that whatever I had been through You had already gone through them. You understand how I feel. Thank You that all those bad experiences help me understand the betrayal You had experienced and how hurtful You must had been.
Let me not be another fickle follower myself but be steadfast in loving, in befriending, in experiencing Your joy no matter come what may. Teach me to die to self and live to Christ.
I pray that You will bless those who have hurt me. I pray that Your love in me will help them repent and follow Your command.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home