Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tongues Control

Proverbs 15:1-4
1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

2 The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

3 The eyes of the LORD are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.

4 The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life,
but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.


My thoughts for today...
Controlling our speech isn’t easy, because the real problem is not our words but our hearts. Behind the insults, we are likely to find in ourselves an insecurity, fear, or guilt that tempts us to protect ourselves at the expense of another."
Mart De Haan

Right, we speak what we think or feel in our hearts. When we are hurt we tend to speak hurtful words in return, words which we may regret after we cooled down. But very often, words that had been said can't be recoiled.

Tonight's devotion reminds us to "gentle" with our reply, to speak wisely and to heal with our words instead of destroy. I may be guilty of speaking too fast when I felt hurt though I have no intention to hurt in return. I tend to share how I feel or the actions I would take too fast. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut unless what I say is going to bring "healing"like a tree of life.

The antidote for our untamed tongues is love. "Love is patient, love is kind." (1 Corinthians 13:4). When we love we will be kind with what we say.


Dear Lord,
Forgive me for times when I spoke too quickly or acted too rashly when I was hurt. I pray for forgiveness and healing for myself and those whom I might have hurt. May Your love restores us and make us whole again. Let me love just like You do.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home