Friday, December 29, 2006

Impaired Vision

1 Corinthians 13:8-13
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Bee's Thoughts:

When we have impaired vision, we can't see things clearly. Similarly, when we have impaired emotion, we can't feel or give love properly.

What does it mean by "love never fails"? I always wondered.

Tonight, in comparing with the next three sentences in the above passage, I begin to understand better:

"prophecies... will cease" - love never cease, it will continue
"tongues... will be stilled" - love will not be stilled, it will keep expressing itself
"knowledge... will pass away" - love will always be here to stay, be present, not becoming history

Why is it so? Because "God is love" and God is always present.

As I sought to understand more I came across a very good article "For women in ministry: Love requires sacrifice". Below are some excerpts from it:
True love is strong, unconditional – God's love – a love that we cannot understand or explain in human terms. The life of the Old Testament prophet, Hosea, powerfully illustrates this kind of love. Hosea was married to Gomer and had three children. Gomer was unfaithful to Hosea, betraying the covenant of marriage. Hosea had every right to walk away, but love that never fails calls us up to higher choices that are beyond human reasoning. Supernatural choices demand supernatural action.

First choice: Love that never fails chooses commitment. *
Second choice: Love that never fails chooses to forgive. **
Third choice: Love that never fails chooses to sacrifice ***

Mother Teresa said, "Love, to be real must cost! It must hurt! It must empty us of self!" The words of King David reveal the essence of love and forgiveness. "No, I must pay the full price. I won't give an offering that costs me nothing." (1 Chronicles 21:24 ICB)

Love that never fails goes beyond reason and refuses to settle for justice alone but insists on granting mercy.

Love that never fails is yours to receive and yours to give.

Notes:
* "true love does not collapse under the weight of testing. It will not disintegrate when the pressure is on nor will it fall apart in the hard times. True love is strong, unconditional – God's love – a love that we cannot understand or explain in human terms. The life of the Old Testament prophet, Hosea, powerfully illustrates this kind of love.
....Commitment never stops trying and never tries stopping. It is a pledge and bond, a covenant and contract. Commitment is a promise."


** "Love that chooses forgiveness is really the only choice that delivers us from the chains of anger, resentment, revenge, and bitterness. Right now, choose forgiveness and set yourself free."

*** 1. Hosea had to sacrifice his pride.
2. Hosea had to sacrifice his rights.
3. Hosea had to sacrifice materially.

Dear Lord,
Thank You for helping me see what it means to truly love. Let me love with Your Agape love that never fails.
Amen, Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home